Family

For the past  week I have been able to spend time with my family. On a good day (like not what we have had this winter) I live about 6-7 hours away...and seeing my mom and dad and sister regularly becomes more difficult when you have work and life and responsibilities elsewhere. So when one gets a bit of time - it's nice to go and visit family.
The temperature here in BC has been much warmer than where I am...like by 10-20 degrees...yes...to me...it's like I am in Mexico right now. So that part of the trip has been very very nice. The scenery especially this time around has been lovely...we have had sun and rain...and the rain has been a welcoming breath of fresh air...it's so moist here.
Staying with mom and dad is always an adventure. We really are the same. We like the same foods, and we have very similar rhythms of getting up in the morning and just hanging out. They go out of their way to make sure we have the little things that we like to make us comfortable. Like cream for our coffee. And mom goes out of her way to make sure we are full and 'fat' (that's what I feel like anyways) She made us polachinka's last night.
My sister lives in the same town as my parents and is a big part of their daily life. And as always is busy with the restaurant  and Isagenix and when I am here I hope that I take a bit of the load off - so she can do other things as I hang with mom and dad. I know one day we will hang out more...and have our sis time...we did that for a while...every year...hook up and do something fun...last few years we didn't have a chance...we need to change that.
One thing is for sure...family is comfortable. And our differences become less...and less noticeable. We can be ourselves and know that we are who we are because of each other. But sometimes...family is not quite what we think it should be...now it becomes about expectations and an idea of what family is. And usually that is hard to live up to. That is when we usually get hurt.
I always think of the movie 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' - we are all fruit...oranges and apples...in the end we are all fruit...:) i don't know it makes me smile...we are all different yet at the end of the day...we realize we really are all the same...just made up a bit different - but come from the same batch.
I have some friends that I can say they are like family to me. In the same way we are different yet somehow we are the same...we get each other. We are comfortable.
There is something unique about the concept about family. It's that connection - that we belong to some 'clan' to someone...Church is like that too or it can be...family...we can honestly say that church is like family too...knowing that you are loved and taken care of. We have experienced that. We are comfortable.
Many different concepts of family... I pray that today ...you investigate your idea of what family is...and who family is... who makes you comfortable...and go visit them...or pick up that phone and call them...relative...friend...who ever...
I am glad I am able to spend more time with my family. Come May I plan to spend even more time with them. Waiting till something happens to spend time with people you love is not a good feeling. I don't want to wait...I want to enjoy and see who I love now or as much as I can now.
One day ... I know I will miss my family in a different way...and I wont be able to visit or phone....so today I am going to enjoy the moments that God has given me with them...and we are going to laugh and have fun and dream and plan and just hang out. We are comfortable.


Comments

Popular Posts