My shadow

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You
are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful
and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to
be worthy of such devotion.
- Unknown

I have been a dog lover and owner since I could walk or talk. I love animals. But I really love dogs.
I must have gotten this love from my dad. As far as I can remember...we have had dogs at home. Big ones
mostly...St. Bernard, German Shepard's, Doberman, and one time my dad brought this Huge dog home...it was like a Marmaduke - kind of dog...huge...I thought my mom was going to have a fit!
So I think my journey of being a dog lover started at home.
When I moved out on my own - as soon as I could... I got my own dog!
I have had 7 dogs to date - and 3 of them are still with me.
We have 2 outside dogs - Maple and Tucker. They are both Golden Retrievers. They are really Mikes dogs. Tucker use to be Mike's brothers dog - and when we moved out here on to our acreage - he moved in with us. He was such a PAIN - at first...stealing things - and for the life of him you could not get it back...sleeping
RIGHT in my flower bed...digging a nice bed for himself...and then well of course you get your thunderstorms and well - what a gong show...he would bolt into the house ever chance he got and you could NOT remove  him from the house! Go through screen doors...jump off decks...ugh! Decide to fight a porquipine and lose...and there were other animals too...The last few years Tucker has gotten a bit older and we were worried we would lose him...then this past year a friend gave us Maple, a female Golden - well ... it's like Tucker is a new dog...He runs and plays and jumps and is SO excited for his new best friend! Maple is adorable - this little 5 year old is such a sweetheart...so gentle and kind. She adjusted well to our  life out here on the acreage. She has some funny quirk's, the way she grunts and dances around you...but is SO beautiful and we just love her! So our two outside dogs make our life fun and exciting out here!
Sadie is our inside Shetland sheepdog. She looks like a little Lassie and has one brown and one blue eye.  We got her 2 years ago - right after we lost Brooks - which was a Shetland too. For pet lovers...that is one of the hardest things ... saying good bye to your little shadow. It was such a terrible day ~ that day for us. We had her for 17 years.
But soon Sadie came into the picture and eased our pain. She is turning into such a good little dog.
Our first year - she was SO hyper, my goodness...we just didn't know what to do with her! Running from one window to the next...SO UPSET & SO MAD at people driving by or leaving our house...it was kinda funny! This last year she is calming down a bit and that is good thing. Sadie is my little shadow. She follows me around everywhere in the house. If I get up she gets up if I go downstairs she goes downstairs - she is never far from me. She is a bit high maintenance...but Mike says...he's use to it...(not sure what THAT means!)
I can't imagine her not being around me. Last October - Sadie got startled and ran away from my parents house in BC. We had to leave and go home the next day with out her. Thinking we lost her forever...what trauma that was...but 24 hours later...someone found her...and she is safe now. As you can imagine - I am super hyper about where she is at all times.
For a none pet lover - it's hard to imagine this kind of relationship...but pets can be such a wonderful companion to families. Pets can  make a real bad day into a good day. They are ALWAYS so excited to see you - they are always there - waiting for you - they know when you are sad - they have the ability to just sense different things...it's such a blessing to own a pet...to take care of an animal that only gives back unconditional love. No matter how much you yell at them ... they come running at you to give you licks and kisses LOL...
I love that movie -Marley and Me...I am sure all of us that have pets...can relate to some part of that movie...that feeling of ....ugh.......I can kill you...get OFF my flowers...to I love you so  much ...moments :) you know what I mean!
Anyways...today I am grateful for my pets...how they make me feel when I am having a sad and bad day.
They are unique animals ... our pets... and as we watch over them and take care of them - I pray you will be blest by them!

No matter how little money and how few possessions you own,
having a dog makes you rich.
- Louis Sabin

Comments

Popular Posts