Camp Life

Last Thursday was my last day at Covenant Bay Bible Camp.
This summer I was blest to be a part of camp life - full time - working as the camp Pastor.

To be honest...it was the best summer of my life. There were so many aspects to my summer...and as always ~ in all situations ~ you learn as much as you teach.
One of the most important areas of my summer was that I was able to fully engage in the lives of 40 some young people - walking along side their decisions and their passions. Really...how cool is that.
Spending time every day - one on one - listening to their stories - their hurts - their pains - their passions - their happy moments - their excited moments - their tired moments - their angry moments...I got it all.
Listening, caring and praying - sharing with them how much God really cares and is present in their life. Isn't that the truth we all crave..
That was one section of my life at camp...
the other was what I learned at camp...
Here are some learning moments that had happened for me at CBBC 2011....To be truthful, they seem to be reoccurring themes...in my life...things that I just really...really need to get!
One of the lessons that I learned is about God and trust.
The first thing that happened to me...right off the start was my insecurity of what I was doing...All of a sudden - there was this attack...and I was just lost for a moment - not sure of who I was in all of this...and what I was doing when I was speaking...It was like this huge insecurity of what I know...to be the truth.
And I was rattled...big time...I thought of going home. Cancelling my speaking...
Then God surrounded me with Godly people who spoke the Truth into my life...and reminded me of who I am in Christ and what I know to be the truth and that I serve a God who is mighty and powerful and loves me. A God who I need to trust ...in all areas of my life...
And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” Matthew 14:23-33 
You see I was afraid...and rattled and when I got out of the water - I was starting to sink because I was doubting of what God was doing through me...I was doubting that God was there - I didn't trust Him...
How often does that happen to us? We lose faith when we are asked to do something that is bigger than us. Forgetting that God is in the middle of it all. I am reminded of these passages...
“Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.” Isaiah 12:1-2    
"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock". Isaiah 26:3-4
It's pretty clear that our peace comes from trusting in God. But it is so hard to live into that at times, isn't it? Why?? I am thinking - it's definitely a way to keep us from doing the work that God has in store for us...Our enemy would like nothing more than...to stop us from what God wants from us...we get too focused on the lies....'we can't do that' 'we are not equipped'...'we can't do it...send someone else'...How often do we do that...too often I think. Trusting God that He is always there AND ...taking care of things...that is what I am learning...giving up everything so I can fully trust in the Lord...Trusting and Obeying...it was a summer of learning that, and now living into it. I am glad I trusted and obeyed God this summer and stayed the course. I would have missed out on some pretty cool, big blessings such as seeing young people accept Jesus in to their life and a baptism.
The second thing that I think I learned was about Passion and Purpose.
I am a big fan of these two things and what I saw this summer is... when you live into who you were created to be and what you were created to do - you live into the life God created for you! That is what I was sharing when I was speaking...and really - really believe that.
Living a life that is purposeful with passion for God is an amazing thing. This summer I lived into my purpose with passion. I know when I feel alive...when I get energized - when I am living into my purpose...It's a feeling like no other.

One word describing God and Creation and who we are in it all

I also realized that God will give you the desires of your heart if you listen and obey. I love students - and walking along side them in their walk with God, listening to their stories and helping them see who they are in Christ, engaging...helping them to see what their purpose is and what their passion is. That is my passion and my purpose. And it's a good thing to live into. God does take your desires seriously - that is what I learned about passion and purpose...God listens and cares -  "Take delight in the  Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart" Psalm 37:4
When you live into your passions and purpose - God is glorified...He is the reason ...You look to God to fill your life up...and He will remind you of who you are in Him...He will stir some passion and purpose within you...and you will live into the life God wanted for you...as you trust and obey...kinda works all together...

That was my camp life...a summer of trust, obeying,  purpose and passion...


Comments

Popular Posts