Happy Valentines Day

Today is Valentines Day...and I am excited ...as Mike and I decided to stay home and spend a nice evening in our home...so I decided to make a splashing meal and will attempt to make Beef Bourguignonne...a most delicious beef dish...the recipe from no other than Julia Child...I had asked for a beautiful red cast iron casserole dish to cook it up with ... so I am attempting to take care of one of my passions that I usually don't have time for...cooking....very excited about today....for that reason alone. So today will be a good day...
Last week I mentioned part 2 - church or mission... one of  my struggles that I have been having at Sanctuary is in regards to  'what kind of church is it..? church or mission...Yesterday  it was a mission centre. Last week it was a Sunday morning church service. The needs were different - the feeling was different. When I was in Chicago I went to a seminar in regards to this kind of situation...mission or church...and what came out of it...one can't do both is what was said...hmmm....one starts a community developing centre or a church - 2 different concepts...a mission has a different focus...a church has a different setting...they both have different needs...I am not sure when these two separated. What is a church without being missional - are they that separate and why is it such a struggle? And what does that look like? Is it different for different churches and communities? Sanctuary is trying to be a missional church...It's been challenging...as I said ... we are having such different Sunday's - with different needs presenting itself each Sunday...we are trying to combine both aspects...I am trying to figure out in my head what that looks like...I can see it...but it's been hard because those two have been separate in my ministry for the past 13 years. I didn't think they were separate - I always have thought of myself as being missional minded...but once I have been put in this situation - I see I have separated them. I did church and then went out and did missions with the church. So I continue to be challenged as this concept for me becomes a reality...a missional church right in the heart of Edmonton...a community developing centre and a church combines...a centre that meets peoples needs physically and spiritually through out the whole week. It's really what we are to be...meeting the needs of those who we are asked to shepherd. So we move forward...doing church and being missional focused setting up opportunities to meet people where they are at. Pretty cool. Pretty challenging. We will see where God takes this.
Well I am off....I have the 'love' channel on on my satellite radio on...I have my fire going ... (it's not that cold but nice to look at) I am going to have a cup of coffee and contemplate how to begin this fine dish today...
Happy Love Day...I pray that you will all be blest in some way today...knowing that each one of of us is loved by a mighty God...

Comments

Popular Posts