Who Am I

So I am reading this new book...a devotional book called 'Your Secret Name" by Kary Oberbrunner - there are a few of us reading it...and some of his stuff is really speaking to me right now in my life.
You know it's speaking to you,  when you are fighting it...you know what I mean...you don't agree...argue the point...when it really doesn't make sense to argue...that kind of stuff...so I had to sit back and relax and just try to see what this is all about...
We are only in the first few chapters ...
It talks about  the 'sin induced question..."who am I?" coming to understand who we are...the names that we give ourselves and that society gives us...who are we really...it's a question that we often ask ourselves...as we are made up of many things ... at different seasons in our life... yet most often we get lost in the process.
As we choose to believe the 'false names' what ever they may be for us...either by our own naming or the influence of others...I really believe that the whole world  is missing out on who we really are ... who we were created to be...when we live into false names.
"an entire world is waiting for us to become who we were born to be. The world yearns for us to embrace our destiny. Because when we are alive, everything we touch comes alive"
Then Kary asks " Have you ever spent time with someone who is truly alive" ....and then goes on to say ... "who gave then permission to dance while the rest of us remain frozen in time..."
I LOVE IT...because then he went on to challenge us ... living a life that is frozen or a life that is free - WHAT are WE doing???
I was really trying to figure that out...a frozen life...living a life that is not your life. Believing the lies of the world.
I remember a time when I was free. And what that looked like. It was filled with peace and a sense of God's presence, filled with who I am, who I was created to be...then I became frozen...we can all fall into that trap....life just stops - for what ever reason, ~ sickness, job, spouse, children, hurts, bitterness, pain, suffering,,,the list is endless - isn't it...so many things in life that can make us just stop....and we get stuck because we begin to live in the lies and we don't know how to get out or maybe don't even want to. I know I felt like I wanted to stay in my own frozen life...IT"S MY PAIN...NO ONE is going to take it away... 
I guess for me...I am slowing thawing out...I am starting to once again see who I am in Christ, my true identity and what God has given me as gifts, and talents and passions...and how to pick them up again and live for Him...it's a cool realization - if you can get past all the garbage that the world tries to throw at you...
oh...yes...it will be hard...I had 2  GREAT days... then WHAM.......it's like an iceberg hit me...and I was down for a while...but you know the cool thing...I was not down as long as I use to be...I picked myself up pretty fast...realizing .... I can do this....or maybe realizing ...I need to do this...and the fact that God can do this...through me...and I realized that I don't want my pain anymore...I don't want to live in this...
So my journey continues and I am not frozen as much... It's a good thing.
Today I pray that each of us can find our freedom...once again...I pray that we can get thawed out...and really seek out 'who am I' ... in a way that continues to honor God and make this world a better place...because we choose to dance...

Comments

Popular Posts