6 Months

It's amazing how different seasons of one's life - impacts your whole life and you don't even realize how it all comes together till you sit down and look back or ahead I guess...Everyplace that I have served as a Pastor has helped to shape me in who I am today. Every place has had a special impact in my life...giving me glimpses of who I am in Christ...It's been an amazing story...so far. First Sonlight in Regina ~ helping me to realize my love for youth and the possibility of ministry - Then Malmo in Wetaskiwin ~ helping me to become the Pastor I am today and for allowing me to grow and explore...and now Sanctuary in Edmonton.
Also in every church I have been blest to find true amazing friends and people who I care deeply about and will always care about. That is truly a gift.
It's hard to imagine that 6 months has gone by already. 6 months ago I was offered a call at Sanctuary Covenant Church - not sure what the 'call' was going to be like...I was nervous but said yes. I am so glad I said yes. I had 3 primary roles in my call - but at the end of the day I was the Care Pastor, and I loved it. I prayed with people, I visited people, I spent time with the young adults - going for lunch - hanging out - just caring about their life. I loved it. This has helped me to realize that I need to finish my degree in counselling and maybe just maybe do this full time...in a church...Care Pastor...
Working in a Church Plant - or I guess I was in a replanting church plant...is SO different than anything else I have ever taken on. Every day there is something different to experience...something to work out...something to plan...something to pray about...something to consider...it is not your usual ever day...'call' . Not at all...you have no idea if 3 people will come on a Sunday morning ...or 130. Every Sunday looks different and every event, or prayer meeting or gathering is a chance...that you have no idea - how it will turn out.
At the end of the day - this was so much about trusting and leaning on God. It's all about Him. He taught me once again...that it's never about anyone...but Him. He will ordain it all and He is in control - it's all about trusting and obeying Him.
In the 6 months that I was serving there... Most of the time...  I was thinking...hmmm....no I can't possibly do that...but I did...I obeyed and trusted that God will get me through it. And He did.
These are some of the things that I learned ...
I learned that I have put 'church' in a box. That I saw church only 1 way...(I didn't think I did...but when you are actually faced with the situation - another story comes up)...and if we didn't do it that way it wasn't church. Not sure if I liked that...I was stretched to think outside of the box...that church can look different and be different and still be an amazing place of worship and God centered teachings. I am leaving Sanctuary ... knowing that God is bigger than the box I had put Him in ~ that I didn't even know I had put Him in, in the first place.
I learned that 'church' is not about so much structure...and order...yes we need to have some - we can't have chaos...but letting go and letting God is not a bad thing...lol...it really isn't ...it's OK if no worship team shows up...because God is there and the Word will be preached...it's OK if we have had the craziest winter ever...God will take care of us driving there and back...it's OK if I have to call 1 hour before service starts because we are stuck in Millet and the roads are bad...God provided another speaker...it's OK if only 25 people showed up because they need to hear God's truth too...and then the next week we have 60 - because God provides...It's OK if we have a limited amount of offering - because God still provides...somehow we make it through the month....it's OK if we don't start on time ...people need to visit and share...it's OK if in the middle of the service or message - someone stands up and challenges everything I say - because God provides someone to help me through it....it's OK... it's OK...it's OK...you see I have learned it's OK...I can let go and let God...be in control of it all...no matter how it looks - what didn't get done...or did get done...it's OK. Its a good space to be in.
The other thing I found is that I have a voice. In the last 6 months I have been given opportunities that I would not have dreamed to be a part of - and that my voice matters. It's been such an amazing journey working with a new group of people that have given me an opportunity to use my gifts and talents in a new inspiring way. It's been a good reminder that when you are put in a place that fits in the new season of the life that you are in - when you are able to share and dream and do what you were created to do ...it fits good and feels good. You thrive...you grow and you see yourself in a new way.
I also learned that you may need to die to the old...so you can see the new...Not necessarily forget the old...what ever that may be...old way of doing things...hanging on to memories...but at some point one needs to let go...so you can see forward. If you hang on too tightly you you really can't breath.
And the last thing I learned about my self is I am on a journey. It's an amazing journey. Every opportunity that is given to me is to be absorbed, learned from and to be taken to newer heights. Nothing is impossible when God is in the middle of it all. Nothing is impossible when you take your passions and dreams and desires and give them to God...and Give Him all the glory. God will use us in  mighty ways.
I am now finished at Sanctuary....for this time in this position. I will still be there for them...as they continue to grow this church - with God...I will still be praying...Still be on the leadership team...still helping them...achieve the impossible...I thank Sanctuary for helping me see who I am in a new way and what else God has planned for me....for allowing me to use my gifts in a mighty new way.
and along side of that...I am dreaming...up my next few goals...and dreams...because - well that is what is exciting about all this...it's like I feel - nothing is impossible anymore...God has opened up a part of me ... that well ~ who knows what can happen next...you know what I mean?
I feel like I have now come to a different place in my life...a place of understanding who I am more deeply and with the feeling that I can achieve all things that God wants me to do.
"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37
Jesus looked at them intently and said, "Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt 19:26
Doesn't it make you just feel like you can do anything with God...at your side...everything is possible...
Enjoy your day...I know I will...I am going out for lunch...riding to town on the bike...it's a glorious day.

Comments

  1. I hope you still continue to write, I really enjoy reading your thoughts.
    ~Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts