Reflections on Ecuador 2020 Adventure trip

It is hard to believe that a little over a week ago I had the privilege to walk along side 8 individuals from all over Canada and experience Ecuador together. 

I am so grateful that this is my story. That this is indeed a part of my Call and journey in life.

Here are a few reflections from this years wonderful journey. 

The Partnership 


We have this amazing opportunity in our denomination to partner alongside the Evangelical Covenant Church of Ecuador and with The Santiago Partnership. 

Being aligned with an agreement with the Santiago Partnership helps us to focus and invest in ministry that is dear to our hearts. 

Every year we go back. Back to the same place and same ministry, yet nothing is the same. 
When we return we see how much work has been done in between, by many others that have come along side. 
Building projects are finished and new ones start. 
We enter into what God is already doing there. 
We spend time with the children at the Casa Hogar - the Home for at Risk children. 
We play games with the children and work on the construction of the home. 
Relationships change also. For the better. Our friendships deepen. We begin to see each other as not only partners in ministry but as brothers and sisters  in Christ. We listen to each others stories and connect. Really connect with deep and powerful conversations. 
This was  the most significant part of my journey on this trip. 
I can say that I left knowing that I do have a strong connection with my friends in Ecuador. 
We spent time sharing and listening to each other and that became the focus. 
I sat with many while listening to their passionate stories of how they care for the vulnerable children at the Casa Hogar. 
What I heard in their stories, is that as hard and painful it can be to walk along side the vulnerable, this is where they are called to be. They are called to love these children and families and care above and beyond to what they are called to. They walk along side the children in the worst times of their lives and they want to be there for them. I witnessed  that as I listened to them share their hearts.


The  medical clinic turns no one away,  even if payment is in chickens or eggs. This clinic  has grown into a full time care facility with phycologist on staff, gynecologist, physiotherapist, dental staff and a full lab that has results in minutes. 
Rooms are being added as services are being provided. 

The staff at both the Casa Hogar and the Medical clinic are true examples of radical hospitality.
They give with no expectations of anything in return. They give knowing it will be painful. They give knowing that rest may not come for a while. They give knowing it is what Jesus would do. 

We had the privilege on one of the mornings to go up the road heading towards the volcano to a small village called Pisambilla and  join the Santiago Partnership in a new initiative called the Prevention program. 

Kim Delp - Friend,  Missionary and Co founder of the Santiago Partnership joined us on this day and had written up a reflection on what we experienced. 

"Last week we personally witnessed the Prevention Program in action and the word used to describe it with is WOW! We watched and listened as two of the workers from the program taught in a room with 92 parents. The goal was to talk with them about how to prevent alcoholism in their children. It started out with jokes and laughter about why people drink alcohol, when and with who? Then asked about behavior that happens while drinking and then how do you think this effects your children? There was a line written on the white board for all to see with "grandparents", "parents", "children" and "grandchildren" asking who is it that breaks the cycle? With the answer being PARENTS! The mood went from joking and laughter to quiet and pensive. Then it was asked of the parents to do an activity where each puts a hand print, representing a signature or promise to break the cycle. The very ones joking were then the ones leading these groups to come up with promises they can sign to break these cycles in their families, to show their children they are serious. I can't tell you the feeling of watching friends and fellow workers in the trenches helping people break chains of addiction!
You may ask why is this important? The programs happening and the countless hours put in to the programs, workshops and individual conversations are making a difference. They are breaking chains, there is healing happening! It is important and it is life-changing!
As we have mentioned previously, this prevention program is made possible by the Ecuadorian government as well as funds from Covenant World Relief. THANK YOU for helping make a difference!"


While up there we were invited to observe in on the training. We witnessed much excitement as many were starting to see that yes...we can break this chain! We spent time touring the town and really sensed God's presence there. When we left we were shown once again radical hospitality. This little town fed us so much potatoes and beans...and Guinea pig. Now Guinea pig is a delicacy and an expensive one. It is like lobster here for us. This was above and beyond a huge portion of generous and radical hospitality. 
I will never forget that moment. 
They served us the best they had. 
I was humbled beyond words. 

We ended our time together with the children and staff at the Casa Hogar by celebrating with a trip to a rescue zoo,  swimming pool and picnic!  There were probably over 60 of us enjoying a wonderful day together. All the  staff of the Casa Hogar with their families came out to enjoy a beautiful hot day. We were once again shown radical hospitality as they hosted an amazing traditional 'in the ground type of meat meal!' It takes 3 hours for the coals to heat up and then in went the chicken, beef and amazing trout. 
It was such a feast , with so much food. 
I will never forget the generous portions and the laughs!  
We did end up a bit wet...and full of foam!  It was Carnival time!


Our partnership also includes a little church up in the mountain region in 
San Antonio  De la Pacha. 
We have been going up to this church for over 5 years now. We have developed a deep and wonderful relationship with them. We spent time working along side the church volunteers during their VBS. We also worked together in the construction project that they were completing at the time. This working together is called a Minga and it means 'community working together' and that is what it was. Many men, woman and children from the community come out and worked together , built together and of course ate together. 
I also had the privilege to spend time walking along side many of the community men and woman in a pastoral care counselling role. I sit and listen and we spend time in prayer. Many of the concerns are similar to ours in Canada which  includes marriage concerns and family concerns. Yet, many are unfamiliar to me and many times I am at a loss for words.  Much  heartache and pain is so evident and present in this community. We sit at times with tears flowing down our cheeks but we know we are connected. They know they are loved and cared for. I share the Gospel and remind them they are not alone. That we have a God who loves us and never leaves us. It is all I can do. 
We leave and they hand me pictures and notes with many names written on it. 
"Por favor oren por ellos" Please pray for them. 

My office is filled with names and pictures and I am reminded to pray. 

The church community is kind and generous as we spend time together. They provide for us amazing rich flavored Ecuadorian food and we take the time and spend the afternoon together riding the bus to a small town at the start of the Amazon Jungle. 
They want to show us their beautiful country. 
We stop at a stunning water fall. 
We end our together with a closing service. 
They shower us with gifts. 
They are forever grateful that we have come to spend time with them. 

We are forever grateful of their example of love and radical hospitality. 

The Team 

All together we had 9 on our team  this year. Some familiar faces and some new. 
I was excited to see how God orchestrated it all together. 
He knows who will come on these trips, before any of us do. 

Is that not just the coolest space to be in.  

We had such fun moments of the unknown. 
Laughter and tears were a huge part of the week. 
Some of my favorite times were spending time with each person, getting to know them and also making sure they were doing more than ok. 
Other favorite memories were our rides. 
Riding down roads that were very questionable. Yet, we seem to have made out just fine! 
These short, out of your comfort zone trips are amazing but also challenging. 
Many times throughout the week we are pushed out of our comfort zone. 
And many of us don't  like that. But I am convinced that if we allow ourselves to be pushed out of our comfort zones...amazing things happen. And you will  eventually like me again. ;) 

What happens then is that we become Comfortably Uncomfortable.

I was beyond blest to spend time in Ecuador with each Team member. 
They were stretched and lived to tell about it! 
I can't wait to hear how God will work in their lives as they return home and share about our work with the Santiago partnership with their churches and serve in ways they never dreamed of in their communities they are calling home. 

We finish our week by spending time with Joel and Kim Delp. Friends, missionaries and founders of the Santiago Partnership. They opened up their home to us - and their showers and beds...we napped, took steaming hot showers, recharged our phones , ate amazing pizza and just spent time visiting. 
What an amazing example of radical hospitality. 
Opening up their home to a bunch of strangers with open arms. 
We thank you. 

Every year we have the privilege to be with the Merge staff that offers much assistance on our trips. We have numerous meetings before hand to finalize the trip and when in Ecuador they help us  make sure our time there is amazing and runs smoothly. 
I would not be able to do this without their partnership. 
Esther and Juan were amazing and we are grateful for their service and team work. 















They have truly shown us radical hospitality! 

And of course we had pockets of time to shop, go to an Art Gallery, coffee shops...of course and touring old Quito. 

A final thought 



It was an amazing week. I can't express this enough. 
Was it all easy? No. Was it worth it? Yes. 
Anything worth it is worth the work, expense, sweat and tears. 
All you need to do is be obedient to what God has laid on your heart and say Yes. 
Truth be told, I have no idea what that looks like for you,
but I do know it means we need to  Step up and Step out. 

Be courageous in what God is calling us to. 
No matter where we are in life. 


I said Yes to this. 
Is it easy to leave my family, No. 
Is it easy for me to travel and fly a whole day, No I am terrified of flying. 
Mostly because I am afraid of having a huge panic attack on the plane. 
Is it easy for me to go with the flow and be flexible, No. I am a type A clip board in 
hand kinda of person. 
Is it easy for me to see people upset, living in harsh environments, hearing hard stories, 
seeing things that hurt , No. Never. 

But what is easy is knowing that God is with me and does not leave me. 
He guides me and helps me lead well. 
He is there for me. And that is enough for me. 
So I say Yes and I am obedient to what He has called me to. 

And my life is forever impacted and altered. 
I am Comfortably Uncomfortable. 
Leaving room to continue to grow and learn. 

My take away for this whole trip was the  idea of this Radical Hospitality. 
I am forever changed from this trip as I had witnessed this kind of hospitality over and over again. 

Radical Hospitality - practicing of putting extraordinary  effort and emphasis on making people  feel welcomed. 

That is what I experienced and felt on this trip. 

Maybe God was nudging me into a deeper place in my heart. 

Where am I with this? 

Do I live a life of practicing of putting extraordinary effort and emphasis on making people feel welcomed?  

Or am I just hospitable to a level of my own comfort. 
If it is inconvenient am I still hospitable? 
If it is hard am I still hospitable? 
It if is complicated or challenging , am I still hospitable? 

Am I giving my best to all who I meet
or just what I am comfortable to give away?

Am I giving my best to God? 

What am I holding back? 

So it begins, my journey of unpacking what Radical Hospitality looks like. 

Ecuador Adventure trips are more than one can imagine. 
It is more than just a trip about construction projects  and a children's ministry. 
It is about completely changing your life from the inside out,
if you allow God to work in and through you. 

If you are open to change ...

It is about  making you uncomfortably comfortable 
and then coming home to tell everyone about it. 


Dios Te Bendiga

Natasha Westerhoud 

There are so many ways you can get involved.
Check us out on these sites. 
Here are some ways you can 
Pray
Give 
and Go. 

https://www.covchurch.ca/
https://www.santiagopartnership.org/

Romans 12:13 13Share with the LORD's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
Hebrews 13:2 2Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.
1 Peter 4:9 9Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.
Genesis 18:2-5 2Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground. 3He said, "If I have found favor in your eyes, my LORD, do not pass your servant by. 4Let a little water be brought, and then you may all wash your feet and rest under this tree. 5Let me get you something to eat, so you can be refreshed and then go on your way-now that you have come to your servant." "Very well," they answered, "do as you say."
1 Timothy 5:10 10and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the LORD's people, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.











Comments

  1. So beautiful and powerful reflection!!.. thanks for inspire the people around you!!..
    Thanks for the shared time it was a huge bless to have to know you!!
    Welcomeback to Ecuador! ,,,🇪🇨

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts